Monday, October 23, 2006

Fear, a very short story

I wrote this late one night a couple of months ago, it was 02:00 - 03:00 am and I couldn't sleep. Hope you all like it.

The water rippled as if hit by a pebble. Just an insect I guess. I had been hiding in hope they would give up but every now and then I would hear them and their Asian banter. I was feeling weak but must hold out. My eyes heavy and hunger pains slipping away, I was sure they would never find me here.

When they attacked, they hit us hard, our grazing-fire had done its job but they just kept on coming. I clicked one after the other, letting the claymore’s do the deed and still they came. Unstoppable and fearless they were, and finally, I had no choice.

The mud in my foxhole made it hard, but I scrambled out in a blur and headed toward our Objective Rally Point. "Shit", I heard them again, "oh god they had us surrounded"!

The marsh had a bad smell, but I welcomed its concealment.

At first I breathed through a reed but now I was simply too tired. Thirst had left with the hunger. Sleep was inevitable, maybe tomorrow I will sneak away to the rear, darkness.

***
The sound of the chopper was deafening but Lieutenant Wilder asked again almost screaming, “What in the hell happened to private Page?” “Sir, we looked for him for days, Sir, I just think he lost it, ya know, did you see him just jump out of his foxhole for no reason and run off like that!” “I aint never seen nothing like it Sir, never, he just let out a roar and ran like the wind into the bush!"

The lieutenant shrugged saddened and yelled in the mike attached to his helmet, “MIA, yep that’s right, you heard me, Missing In Action!”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, what can I say!!!!!