Sunday, December 02, 2012

Read A Good Book Lately?



Like most of you, I am an avid reader. And many years ago I fell in love with mystery novels. The phase was brief but memorable. One of my favorite suspense and mystery authors is Agatha Christie. Not only do I love her stories, but I was impressed with her as a pre-World War Two female writer. I know, much of her popular work was published much later, but she was actively writing in the early 1920’s. 

Luckily, I stumbled upon a book released Agatha Christies’ grandson, Mathew Prichard: The Grand Tour; Around the World with the Queen of Mystery.
This book is the travel diary, letters and photos from a world tour that Agatha Christie and her husband took in 1922. They set off from London with The British Empire Exhibition in January of 1922, and traveled the globe.

Reading this gives one a real insight into a great author. How she thinks and feels. Interestingly, it also lets us peek into an era. Just coming out of World War One, the world was a much different place than it is now. This was the beginnings of prosperity and start of what was called the “Roaring Twenties.”

I am in the middle of this book and am in love. The photos are great and the letters are wonderful to read. Once finished, I’ll write more, my opinions, feeling and thoughts about this one. But for now, I am enjoying the ride.

The Book:
The Grand Tour
Agatha Christie, by her grandson- Mathew Prichard

No comments: